On Thursday 07 August 2003 08:03 am, Tadimeti Keshav wrote:
> Hi all,
> I just bought a EIDE Western Digital Caviar (I think it is also called
> Ultra ATA) and made it the master. The ATAPI Sony CD-ROM is the slave.
>
> After boot, I get the obvious message - device not ready.
> The problem is that I am not able to eject the CD tray (so that I can begin
> Mandrake installation).
>
> Motherboard = D815EEA
> Processor    = PIII 866 MHz
>
> I am able to see both the ATAPI CD-ROM & Hard Disk in the BIOS.
> Has anyone faced this problem before? Any help will be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Keshav

  Can you try setting the CD drive up as master on the second IDE channel. I
have set up at least 50 machines that way and never had the problems that you
describe. If all you are using is 1 CD drive and 1 HDD things should run
faster using 1 drive on each IDE channel. Make sure both drives are set as
master. Make sure that any drive set as master is at the end of the IDE
cable. If you still have problems try the eject button every couple of
seconds after starting the machine.

    Marc
    KM5KW