On Monday August 11 2003 02:21 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:
> yes, I think I experienced this when we went through my own
> configuration with you a while back, and the conclusion I came to
> was that overdoing  anything the makers recomend is a  zero sum
> game to the degree to which you overclock, you get nothing for
> nothing, so I went back to makers recommended settings, and since
> I am not into gaming , blow it all.

   Not so fast partner ;>  I was referring to HDD performance.
Somethin cpu/cache/ram intensive scales linearly up with
overclocking. A glibc src.rpm or kernel 'make bzImage', 'make
modules' compile for examples. Most all benchmarks. OTOH, I've
always overclocked mostly like mountain climbers say, "just 'cause
its there".  Besides, now'adays if your hardware isn't
overclockable, you probly should'na bought it to begin with ;)  If
it isn't clockable, it probly won't run all that well at the specs
the 'makers' set out. Dell is a good example ;>