Tom Brinkman wrote:

On Monday August 11 2003 02:21 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:

yes, I think I experienced this when we went through my own
configuration with you a while back, and the conclusion I came to
was that overdoing anything the makers recomend is a zero sum
game to the degree to which you overclock, you get nothing for
nothing, so I went back to makers recommended settings, and since
I am not into gaming , blow it all.

Not so fast partner ;> I was referring to HDD performance. Somethin cpu/cache/ram intensive scales linearly up with overclocking. A glibc src.rpm or kernel 'make bzImage', 'make modules' compile for examples. Most all benchmarks. OTOH, I've always overclocked mostly like mountain climbers say, "just 'cause its there". Besides, now'adays if your hardware isn't overclockable, you probly should'na bought it to begin with ;) If it isn't clockable, it probly won't run all that well at the specs the 'makers' set out. Dell is a good example ;>

I take your point entirely.

John

--
John Richard Smith