>      Your hardware is a good part of the slowness. OTOH, you didn't
> say how you were transferring. I suspect it was with a GUI. If

I wouldn't be surprised if ReiserFS on an IDE drive were faster than
Windows FAT32 on a SCSI ultrawide 160... :)

I do work occasionally with Windows, and Reiserfs feels like a RAM
disk sometimes by comparison :). But I haven't done really much testing.
Linux has always felt faster - it knocked my socks off the first time I
tried using ext2 for serious things, having just come from DOS/Windows.