Manolis

> > LX said:
> > clockspeed == performance propaganda has been one of the greatest lies
> > foisted on the gullible computer user public that I've seen.
>
> I am tired to read from many people the there is only one way propaganda
> between two companies.

Maybe because you don't get it? While there may be propaganda in both
directions, it flows more heavily from Intel. LX was very specific
regarding the benefits of AMD CPUs. That's not propaganda, that's fact.

What has made the reputation of these companies? Intel has a reputation
based on its "Intel Inside" ad campaign. AMD has a reputation built on
better performance and better features at a lower price. If you think
these facts are irrelevant because they're both big companies, you
should re-think your position.

> They are COMPANIES , they want to make money, they
> want to take over the market in their field. There is no such thing like a
> huge monster (Intel) that tries to destroy the little neighbour (AMD).

Have you ever heard of Microsoft?

> Is there any propagandistic content in the "less clockspeed than the real
> one" in AMD XP series?

Their names ("2200+" etc) are not a marketing deception. First, because
they are not advertised as speeds. Second, the real speeds are not
hidden (and if they are, it's the retailer's fault, not AMD's). Third,
they're meaningful numbers that rate performance relative to common
standard (Intel CPUs).

Besides which, the XP naming schemes illustrates _exactly_ what LX said
about the clockspeed propaganda: AMD CPUs do more work with fewer clock
cycles. In fact, I think AMD is obligated to indicate relative performance
more prominently than clock speed because the clock speed number is
so meaningless in comparison.

> Generally I think that no one must be in the side of one and only one company
> in this argument between the two. Both have made great progress in CPU
> production. Sometimes one is the better solution ( northwood vs XP )
> sometimes the other (AMD64 vs Itanium).

You've got it backwards. "Generally" you should take sides with the
company that does consistently better work, and have the brains to make
exceptions to the rule as circumstances dictate.

Intel may eventually raise the standard of their products on a
consistent basis. If and when they do, tech-heads here and elsewhere
re-consider their positions. Tech-heads are smart people. But in the
meantime, it _is_ reasonable position to side with AMD.

Miark