If you were wanting to play arround with kernels try the tmb ones

Just update your kernel-utils and possibelyou init scrips from the cooker rpms (from memory that is - on my win doze box atm)

Then get the latest tmb kernel from http://www.netikka.net/tmb/Cooker/ or it may even be on the contribs part of cooker under a slightly different name.

Type in lilo (as root) so it updates your lilo stuff so at boot up you can select you new kernel.

I've tried both the 2.6 kernel and the tmb kernel. The 2.6 one hardly works with any hardware atm as none of the modules are there yet. The tmb kernel rocks though. It has DVB support, bluetooth support, decent supermount support and lots more.

I like this kernel

Mike ;-)

Anarky wrote:

Charles A Edwards wrote:

You have added a 'cooker' source but are not running cooker.

what is a 'cooker'? I don't really understand the system. Isn't cooker simply the newest stuff?

You are forcing urpmi to validate all the actual and relative provides
for both the pkgs you have installed and that which you wish to install,
not to mention the fact that this rpm was not built to run on any
platform except 9.2

ummm .. really?

You can use # urpmi --allow-nodeps --allow-force kernel-2.6.0-0.test3.1mdk
but I would strongly discourage this

The 2.6.0-0.test is not a Newbie friendly kernel.

and I was sooooo excited that Mandrake was finally a distro in which I could change my kernel .. I ... who don't know anything about kernels ... and am not a linux pro ... sounded really cool.
Besides .. the reason that pushed me was that I heard that if installing via this rpm I would just get a safe new lilo option and could choose from there ... and thus I would be able to test what I heard, that these new kernels are supposed to give more priority to certain processes and thus make my linux appear to be running smoother.

If you are determined to try it I would strongly suggest you install
either the 9.2 beta2, or the RC1,

what does RC1 mean? Where can I get these? I've looked on the web .. I found aproximative figures .. do you by any chance know an exact date when the final 9.2 will come out?

which should be out today and then use
urpmi to install the test kernel or dl the kernel.src.rpm and rebuild it
for your current system.

I've never installed a src.rpm ... is it painfull? what would one have to do ?

greets,