If you were wanting to play arround with kernels try the tmb ones

what's 'tmb'

It's the initial of the guy who compiles it Thomas Buckland

Just update your kernel-utils and possibelyou init scrips from the cooker rpms (from memory that is - on my win doze box atm)

could you please give me more detailed instructions or point me to somewhere where I could find them?

ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/unix/linux/distributions/Mandrake-devel/cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/initscripts-7.06-19mdk.i586.rpm
ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/unix/linux/distributions/Mandrake-devel/cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMS2/kernel-tmb-2.4.22.0.5.2tmb_mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm
ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/unix/linux/distributions/Mandrake-devel/cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMS2/kernel-tmb-source-2.4.22-0.5.2tmb_mdk.i586.rpm

If you install these files

Then type lilo it should all work

what I'm looking for is that dreamy kernel feature which I hear will have that magic property of making Linux react faster (more like Windows, in giving higher priority to starting programs & running user programs)
greets,

I think that's the low latancy patch. Which this kernel includes. Hence why these kernels (eventually) become the Multimedia ones.

Let me know how you get on

Mike