On Tuesday 26 August 2003 12:37 pm, HaywireMac wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 19:56:44 +0000
>
> Kaj Haulrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:
> > Thanks a lot, Joe - I really appreciate your effort. Like
> > you said, I would consider it a defeat to use Windows. I
> > only hope you'll enjoy the research. I too tried to read the
> > man pages for wine, but it's way over my head. Win4Lin may
> > be an option, but it requires me to have a Windows CD and
> > change my kernel, which I don't like.
> >
> > Please don't waste a lot of time on this, Joe. After all it
> > isn't the end of the world.
>
> Okay, just in case you have not gone the Windows install
> route, I found something that has a chance of solving your
> dillemma (sp?).
>
> I snagged a copy of Crossover. So far it runs Office and
> Photoshop, should I test Derive, or is it too late?

Thank you very much, Joe. But I gave up after my daughter told me
that in order to use her college's web-based filesharing system
she needed yet another set of windoze apps. So I purchased a new
HP with Winsux XP on it. Gosh, what a POS ! . She is root all
the time, need to update Winsucks every day as well as something
called Norton Firewall. But no chance of seeing what's going on
underneath the hood. I tried to configure it to her liking,
making it look familiar to her linux, installed Open Office,
Mozilla, created 5 backups of the system on CD, defragged the
whole caboodle twice. Tried to uninstall MS Internet Exploder
and Outfool Excrete, which I couldn't. The damned thing crashed
three times during the session. Now it works - to a certain
extent - but she claims that she feels like a baby, confronted
with this amateurish "OS". She want me to install Linux
alongside this crap as a dual boot system, but I'm afraid it
won't survive repartitioning etc.... And I don't want to spend
more dough on the box like buying Partition Magic and whatnot to
make it look like a real PC. Now at least she can use Open
Office for writing, and Mozilla for browsing and mail.

Good heavens, what an experience (hence the XP brand ?)....

Kaj Haulrich.
--
Registered Linux user  # 214073 at http://counter.li.org