As Femme and Carroll suggested, I intend to throw in an
additional harddisk.  My daughters PC came with this *OS*
(WinXP) preinstalled, and although there is plenty of room on
the hda I can't  get the damned thing (XP) to moderate itself. I
tried this *defragging* exercise twice, but it seems unable to
move a certain chunk of files from the end of the partition
(*C:*) = hda1 to join the other files at the beginning of the
partition. Furthermore, there's yet a partition (*D*) =hda2.
Funny thing is, hda1 is NTFS and hda2 is FAT32 (???).
Under these circumstances I don't dare a repartitioning from
Mandrake.

Now, one could argue : what's the risk  - I could always
reinstall this XP toy ? - The answer is : maybe. You see, the
box came without installation CD's (!). I had to burn 6 CD's to
make something they call a *rescue* option. The crap only allows
me to do this once, so I have no chance of knowing if the CD's
are capable of reinstalling the @£%&@.

So, I'll let Mandrake reside on hdb and take over the boot
process. I suppose it's a nobrainer, even with this XP crap ?

And to Carroll : I'm in no way a father who will send his
daughter off to college deprived of Linux. So much so, that she
herself - grown up with Linux - insists on a Linux box, calling
this XP [EMAIL PROTECTED] a bad joke. She already knows way more about
computers than the joined staff of boys in her class.

So my fatherly pride is unhurt, even if she has to live with a
contaminated PC.

Thanks a lot for good advice, all !

Kaj Haulrich.
--