crak600 wrote:

On Monday 01 September 2003 05:49 am, John Richard Smith wrote:

If you have both Aumix and Kmix turned right up full and have set them
as such as default settings, maybe you need to look at gmplayer itself,
there are a number of audio driver settings in preferences, if that does
not work, then I would suspect you need better versions of lame. Mplayer
is a very demanding programme, a hell of a lot of resource goes into
playing moving pictures, some sound drivers may not work well with
mplayer. I installed Ralph Slooten's,  lame-20030216cvs-1mdk.i586.rpm
from his website.

One last thought maybe you have aRts enabled ? in MCC

John

as far as i can see i don't have arts on here. i checked for services running and it's not listed, i went to the uninstall software option and looked for it and didn't see it, and in a terminal asked 'which arts' and it says there are "no arts in" and lists locations. did i miss anywhere to check?

i've done the aumix and kmix volumes and it doesn't help. i've tried different audio drivers in mplayer and from what i've seen only one works with my sound card. i tried quite a few different ones already though.

what is lame for?

Mike

KDE CC - sound - Sound system - | X | the option to enable aRts.

lame is an mp3 codec, I think, but it's necessary to have a good lame package to get sound to work well with mplayer. Ralph Slooten builds his own lame packages and leaves them on his website http://axljab.homelinux.org:8080/ to download, you will have to rummage around there , I've lost the exact url. Ralph always assemples a good working mplayer from CVS source code packages . I've yet to obtain a rpm version that works in all departments, but it could be my equipement as much as anything, don't know.

If you want to find out which lame version you currently have do,

rpm -qa | grep lame in a terminal and see what it say's

I wouldn't rush to replace it, but if you do, you can always remove any rpm package and replace it with the original if you wish. Not much to loose by trying it.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]