(Not quoting anyone so I can pull the discussion back where I need it...)

Ok, so I *should* be okay with ReiserFS on my root partition and ext2 on /boot. So how do I go about figuring out why KDE takes forever to start up X (and never puts up the desktop icons) and gnome can't seem to shut it down (logout five times, eventually (60+ seconds later) I get the logout dialog)? I've looked in ~/.xsession-errors and /var/log/X.log.0 (whatever the name is - not on that machine at the moment) and I don't see anything obvious.) I have no trouble running X apps once I'm in.