Stephen Kuhn wrote:
On Sat, 2003-09-06 at 16:34, Guy Rouillier wrote:

Guy Rouillier wrote:

(Not quoting anyone so I can pull the discussion back where I need it...)

Ok, so I *should* be okay with ReiserFS on my root partition and ext2 on /boot. So how do I go about figuring out why KDE takes forever to start up X (and never puts up the desktop icons) and gnome can't seem to shut it down (logout five times, eventually (60+ seconds later) I get the logout dialog)? I've looked in ~/.xsession-errors and /var/log/X.log.0 (whatever the name is - not on that machine at the moment) and I don't see anything obvious.) I have no trouble running X apps once I'm in.

Well, I seem to have found a way to make it happy. Under KDE, for some reason, it installed itself with desktop icons unchecked. I checked this, it immediately showed two icons. Now when I startx into KDE, it no longer shows the clock icon for a couple minutes. To fix gnome, I (1) disabled acpi and (2) turned off auto detection of my Ethernet connection. Don't know which one did the trick, but now when I select the logout menu item, I immediately get the log out dialog. Who knows.

One last question. When my keyboard is idle, I hear disk activity about every 10 seconds. Is this normal with ReiserFS? I don't remember hearing this with ext2.

Are you logging in as "root" - because KDE and Gnome will default to NO
icons - very bare - the idea being that no one should be operating the
system as root anyways...

...just wondering...

Yes I was (for setup purposes.) Gnome actually was showing icons, KDE wasn't. If KDE elects not to show icons, it shouldn't then get hung up if they aren't there. Oh, well, everything seems to be fine now (and no, I do not log in as root to do normal work.)
--
Guy Rouillier