September 4, 2003 08:34 pm, Mathieu Frenette wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> I have a Toshiba laptop with Windows XP installed on a 30GB hard
> drive (with a single NTFS partition). I wanted to install Mandrake
> 9.1 with dual boot handled by LILO.  I therefore installed Mandrake
> with the "resize Windows partition" option.  However, it looks like
> I've lost everything that was on this partition.  Is it because,
> during a resize, only data on a FAT partition can be preserved, and
> not with NTFS?

I'm not sure why that would be. Well I am but that's like rubbing salt
into an open wound. :-)

I just did a resize and Mandrake Cooker (9.2RC1) install for a friend
Monday, and everything was still where it was supposed to be afterward.
Just in a smaller space than before. Did you defrag the disk first?
What space is Mandrake reporting that it's using? The whole disk? Or
did you just forget to introduce the boot loader to Windows from the
start?

You can have a look at the disk layout from your desktop; just look in
the Mandrake Control Center at the section labeled "mount points" and
find "diskdrake." You could also call that utility directly by holding
down the "Alt" button on your keyboard and clicking F2 then typing the
name in the dialog you'll get and providing the root password when
asked. Don't worry about the "back up your data" warning since you
aren't going to change anything just yet. You're only going to take
copious notes about the partition scheme for the drive. then post the
details here. _All_ of the details; file system type (just click the
sections of the display and copy what's displayed on the right panel
about the partitions. It's all important.

Course you could always just open a terminal and type;

mount

then hit enter. Copy and paste what you get from there. The in that same
terminal type;

df -l <enter>

and paste that here too. Six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Either way is fine. <g>

> When I do an "ls /mnt/windows", it gives the error "ls: reading
> directory /mnt/windows: Input/output error". Also, when I boot with a
> DOS boot disk, I can not even see any drive letter (such as C:,
> D:...) but only the floppy drive A:

Anyone that's doing a dual boot install on an existing Windows disk
should always do all of their reading before they start. Read the list,
ask the questions, read the documentation that on the install disks and
_remember_ the answers as best you can. Above all else;

don't be afraid to ask questions before you dive in and screw things up

You may have lost the Windows install but maybe not. Is this one of
those proprietary "NO INSTALL DISK" just restore disks machines, or is
it a real computer? If it's the former what brand and model? If the
latter, share some details about the system, tell the list _exactly_
what you did in step by step fashion and some one of these fine people
will probably be able to help in the rescue effort.

> So I guess the other part of my question is, if I want to reinstall
> Windows XP, how can I get back my C: drive letter in the first place?

Windows always calls the disk it's installed on C:/ no matter where the
hell it really is. That's the least of your worries at the moment.

> Thanks in advance for any pointer,
>
> Best regards,
>
> Mathieu.

Peace; and best of luck.
- --
Charlie
Edmonton,AB,Canada User 244963 at http://counter.li.org
Cooker on kernel 2.4.22-4mdk
"History is a tool used by politicians to justify their intentions."
- -- Ted Koppel