On Friday 05 Sep 2003 2:54 pm, Mathieu Frenette wrote:
> However, when (in Konqueror) I do a Properties of /mnt/windows, it
> says:
>
> Size: 0 B (0)
> Free space on /mnt/windows: 6.4 GB/27.9 GB (78% used)
>
> > You can have a look at the disk layout from your desktop; just
> > look in the Mandrake Control Center at the section labeled "mount
> > points" and find "diskdrake."
>
> Only one drive: hda
>
> hda1:
> Mount point: /mnt/windows
> Device: hda1
> DOS drive letter: C (just a guess)
> Type: NTFS (or HPFS)
> Size: 23 GB (84%)
> Formatted
> Mounted

That sounds good.  Your windows partition still exists, and I would
guess your data does too.

> > Course you could always just open a terminal and type;
> > mount
>
> /dev/hda1 on /mnt/windows type ntfs
> (ro,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0)

I'm not familiar with setting up ntfs partitions, so someone else will
chip in, but I suspect that you don't have permission to read at user
level.  If I'm right, this line in fstab needs changing, and once
someone has told you what to do everything will be fine.

> I know. In the Windows world from which I come, I am used to not
> having answers, not having support, not having anyone to talk to,
> snif! ;)

That never happens here - the only problem is that we talk *too* much
<g>

 More seriously, I am used to the open source Java and .NET
> communities, and it is a real pleasure to join the Linux open
> source community, and to see how nicely open source applies to an
> OS. :)  Even with the experience of loosing my XP partition, I'm
> still *really* starting to *love* Linux!!! :)

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302