H.J.Bathoorn wrote:

>> Vi IS simple, basically you only need to know two commands/actions
>> and two keys.
>>
>> You get to use <esc> and <ins> as hotkeys.
>>
>> Use <ins> and you can add/type or delete all the text you want to.
>>
>> use <esc> and type: ":wq" to write and close the file or ":q!" to
>> close w/o writing.
>>
>> One navigates using the arrows up/down/left/right.
>>
>> Now If that's too hard: forget perl.

It is easy as you say.
But what I was struggling with in the beginning was not how to "insert", but
how to "delete" :-)

Small lettes became capital letters, etc.
The part that seems unusual when you come from windows is that you have to
press INSERT to really insert stuff. If you're used to notepad or wordpad,
or what ever text editor/processor, you're just used to just type to see
your text.

I can understand why newbies don't really like vi, and do like nano (or
pico...). Nano is IMO the easiest, but vi is the fastest. Plus vi is
standard in all distros. And nano/pico isn't.

Kind regards,

Guilmot Mike