On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 19:31, Bryan Phinney wrote:
> On Friday 05 September 2003 06:47 pm, ed tharp wrote:
> > >
> > > I am surprised but have never shared that experience.  The 3 times that I
> > > have installed Windows after I had installed Linux (all WinXp and I am
> > > VERY ashamed to admit having done so), lilo was always wiped out
> > > completely and replaced by nt bootloader.  If W2000 doesn't do this, it's
> > > news to me.
> >
> > maybe the fact that winme was first installed, then additional linux
> > partitions then the install of win2k.
>
> I would still be quite surprised.  MS has never been one to accept the
> existence of alternate OS's and I was not aware that there was any ability to
> override the default installation of NT bootloader with the installation of
> either W2K or WinXP in whichever flavor.  WinME OTOH, uses command.com, not
> NT bootloader because it is just another flavor of Win98.  When you installed
> W2K, NT Bootloader should have wiped out the mbr and reinstalled, adding an
> entry for WinME but overwriting the actual boot sector.  That should have
> blown away Lilo.  Unless, Lilo was installed within the first 2 Gigs on the
> primary drive but not in the MBR.  That isn't the case by any chance?
>
> But I guess I could be misremembering.
> >
> > /dev/hda7             7.1G  2.9G  3.9G  43% /
> > /dev/hdc5             4.9G  2.2G  2.7G  46% /home
> > /dev/hda4             4.3G  2.4G  1.9G  57% /mnt/nt
> > /dev/hda1              28G   17G   12G  61% /mnt/win_c
> > /dev/hdc6             4.7G  2.2G  2.6G  46% /mnt/win_c2
> > /dev/hda6             8.6G  1.4G  7.3G  16% /mnt/win_d
> > /dev/hda8             2.8G  1.1G  1.7G  39% /var
> >
> > >   In
> > > fact, there is a detailed howto that explains how to create a dual boot
> > > system with Linux and Windows that uses the Windows bootloader that
> > > involves installation to a second partition, using a boot floppy to boot
> > > Linux, making a copy of the boot image, putting it on the C: drive and
> > > rigging boot.ini to see it as a boot option.
> >
> > I can understand that, but I want to (and have for some long time) use
> > lilo to boot different kernels and windows is a single choice, and that
> > loads the windows boot loader, where I chose between winME and win2k.
> > I wonder if fixboot might be more what I want than fixmbr. since the mbr
> > is fine and points to lilo. do you know what fixboot does?
>
> Actually, if you have installed W2K on any partition other than C: while WinME
> is on C, you should be able to choose either version of Windows as well as
> Linux using Lilo without any problems.  Lilo can support any number of
> multiple bootable OS's as long as you set the entries up for it.
Lilo 'see' two windows partitions, but only the first one has the w2k
boot loader, and it offers me 2 different windows partions
here is the windows lines from my /etc/lilo.conf

boot=/dev/hda

other=/dev/hda1
        label="windows"
        table=/dev/hda
other=/dev/hda4
        label="windows2"
        table=/dev/hda
other=/dev/fd0
        label="floppy"
        unsafe

> Doing so with windows boot loader involves, at the very least, creating and
> manually moving boot images to C partition and then manually adding them to
> boot.ini and remove all chances of passing particular parameters to the
> kernel upon boot, IIRC.
well believe me, it set itself up this way. I had figured to redo lilo
when I first installed w2k, but was pleased to not have to.

I have been screwing around this evening some, this problem first reared
it's ugly head in the form of me screwing with a partition (notice the
lack of hda5 from the df tables)at the end of the win ME partition,
leaving win ME unbootable, so I tried booting from a winME boot disk,
and trying 'sys c:' which wiped the NT bootloader, but did not bother
lilo. so now I can get into safemode (almost) in winME, and have no
problem with Mandrake.

Mandrake HowTo's & More: http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org