Max to quote another post I read on this :

"maximum fragmentation in linux is 3% so you really don't have to defrag your ext2/3 fs "

Defragging a linux drive is unnecessary.

for Firewalls for newbies I would suggest Firestarter it's easier in my opinion than shorewall
for those who are comming from a windows setting if you just want a local firewall for the laptop itself.

If you want to run a separate box as a firewall, gateway, router for a home network then MNF is great!

just my suggestions ;-)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

First, let me thank you all for the excellent advice on getting mdk91 to
work on my Fujitsu PII 366 Mhz notebook with 191 RAM and a 30G drive.  I
decided that I needed to change the way the disk was set up and so I wiped
it and reinstalled W2KP and MDK91.  Something went differently this time
and the installation was much more graphical, much more handholding.  There
must've been an unnoticed error during my last install which skipped some
of the later steps.  Also, I've migrated from Gnome to KDE (happily so
far).

This time everything is working very smoothly, quickly, and well.  I even
found SNDCONFIG and was able to convince the notebook that a like model
sound driver would be a good fit, so I now have sound.

Three quick questions:

1) When booting there is about a 18 second delay while the system checks
modules.  Is this normal?  All the other steps seem to pass quickly.

2) How do i defragment the harddrive?  There must be a utility somewhere,
but HARDDRAKE seems to launch LOGDRAKE.  <laughing>  (LOGDRAKE doesn't show
anything unusual.)

3) I have a Linksys router between the Internet cloud and my home system.
Is there any use in my installing MNF (Multiple Net Firewall)?  I'd like to
be notified of attempts to access my system, be able to see activity, etc,
and the linksys doesn't really show that (it has a log function, but it's
on the router itself and a bit of a pain to read).  Would I derive any
benefit or is the Linksys already protecting me so the MNF would be
redundant and never activated?

Thanks.

-- Mike McNeese Springdale, Arkansas USA

====================================================== Dual booting 98lite;MDK 9.1 stock kernel Kde 3.1 Registered Linux User #248955 liquid/acqua Theme ======================================================

"If obstacles are what you see in your path...
               Then you have lost sight of your goal! "