On Tuesday September 9 2003 06:01 pm, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> > 1) When booting there is about a 18 second delay while the
> > system checks modules.  Is this normal?  All the other steps
> > seem to pass quickly.

> 20 seconds is normal, 18 is fast. Something MUST be wrong - or we
> can teach you how to set the time-out much higher....(JOKE)
>
> Yeah, that's about normal...

   With this in mind, today after twice rebooting to new
kernels....'finding modules' was instantaneous. Hardly a blink. I
don't remember it ever bein any different (?). The only thing that
did ever lag is 'eth0', 20 maybe 30 seconds. I have a dynamic DSL
connection. BUT, I found changing /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
ifcfg-eth0,  BOOTPROTO=dhcp to BOOTPROTO=static  makes it zip by
eth0 on boot in less than a second.  With either config, eth0 is
still up and working. My edit just gets rid of the boot lag. I've
discussed it with the Mandrake developers an they're scratchin
their heads too. This was durin 9.1 devel, but it still holds true
for me now in 9.2 RC2 + updates.

   Anyways, if your boot is takin 18 or more seconds to resolve
module deps, somethin ain't configured properly, or somethin is
weird. OTOH, like my eth0 deal above, sometimes when they're try'n
make sure stuff works out of the box for everybody, the config's
and apps sometimes are less than optimal for those who don't need
the kludges in the first place. I never had the eth0 situation till
a few complained on the 9.1 devel (cooker list) that there were
problems with dhcp-client and their connections ;)  They won, I had
to scratch.  NBFD, eth0 works either way, otherwise you wouldn't
have to read this ;)