> Three quick questions:
>
> 1) When booting there is about a 18 second delay while the system checks
> modules.  Is this normal?  All the other steps seem to pass quickly.

In MandrakeControlCentre>System>Services disable harddrake and auto kernel
headers. That will speed up booting (obviously if your hardware is going to
change you want harddrake on first or else it will not detect the new
hardware)

> 2) How do i defragment the harddrive?  There must be a utility somewhere,

You don't. Thats a Winders thang.
Linux does *not* suffer from fragmentation

> 3) I have a Linksys router between the Internet cloud and my home system.
> Is there any use in my installing MNF (Multiple Net Firewall)?  I'd like to
> be notified of attempts to access my system, be able to see activity, etc,
> and the linksys doesn't really show that (it has a log function, but it's
> on the router itself and a bit of a pain to read).  Would I derive any
> benefit or is the Linksys already protecting me so the MNF would be
> redundant and never activated?

Your Linksys will be protecting you. If you like enable the Firewall in
Mandrake Control Centre, and so long as you have put in an email address in
the security section of Mandrake Control Centre you will get daily emails
listing firewall hits and other security related info.

MNF is a stand alone firewall you would use in place of the Linksys.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net