On Wednesday 10 September 2003 11:53 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> [off list]
>
> Sounds unnecessary then.  Thanks very much for your reply.
>
> Max

Well, I didn't mean to suggest that extra security was a completely bad idea.
I do keep my machine locked own with /etc/hosts.deny and allow entries to
block traffic I don't know about or approve.  I also have tripwire installed
just in case my machine is compromised so that I will get some notification.
And, I run the nightly security checks as well as chkrootkit so that I can be
made aware of open ports, changes to the system and attempts to install root
kits on my machine.

Unlike some people, I do not allow changes to my router/firewall from an
external connection, only the local network can do that.

There are a number of other periodic checks you can make including checking
for new user accounts, home directories and any log file removals or
deletions.  Several tools will automate those processes for you.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer