On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 16:53:15 -0500, "Wilson, Jack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> 1) What antivirus platform seems to be the standard for Mandrake? I
> looked at Trend Micro's product, but their product only covers the
> Redhat kernels. I am assuming you CANNOT compile a RedHat kernel in
> Mandrake.

Linux viruses are almost never seen in the wild, and can only run with
the permissions of the user, and would meet a subtlely different
environment on each machine...
Having said that, you might want to filter out Windows viruses if you
had Windows clients. And some Redhat stuff will install on Mandrake,
although I imagine they patch their kernel quite differently!

> 2) What is involved in upgrading 8.2 to 9.1 or 9.2? (Keeping my data
> intact)

If you have /home on a separate partition, don't format it during
the install (but back it up in case). If it's not, install, then restore
/home from backup.
If you bring all your dotfiles (generally ~/.<app-name>) with you, and
some app isn't happy, maybe rename the dotfile and let it create a new
one - sometimes formats change.

> 3) if I have 2 ethernet cards, eth0 and eth1, and let's say I want to
> disable eth0 and just use eth1, how do I do that?

Just for now? "ifconfig eth0 down".
Permanently? Not sure, why not just ignore it and not plug anything in?
Actually, there must be something in the init files which brings the
interface up, but I don't know where it is.

Richard
--
"Get up and turn I loose"