On Thursday 18 Sep 2003 1:12 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 18 Sep 2003 12:29 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:
> > I know if I wait long enough, you all start to agree with me, HP
> > printers are not well supported in linux and do not work that well,
> > as compared to epson and lexmark all of which I have have had one
> > or more experience with one way or another.
>
> I repeat - with one exception, around 3 years ago (when I was defeated
> and temporarily gave up linux), I have used HP printers without any
> problems whatsoever.  Mandrake has found them in every version from
> 8.0.  IIRC HP show clearly on their website which models are
> supported.  That's how I chose my present one.
>
> Anne

Quote from www.linuxprinting.org

"Score Cards

Excellent
-----------
Epson Laser Printers (Not "L" and not AcuLaser C900/C1000)
Hewlett Packard Laserjets (except Laserjet 1500)
Hewlett Packard Inkjets
Lexmark Optra Division

Good
-------
Kyocera Laser Printers
Brother HL Devices
Epson Inkjets
Minolta

Average
----------
Canon
Okidata
Samsung

Poor
-----
Epson EPL "L" and AcuLaser C900/C1000 Printers
Everyone Else

Useless
Brother MFC Devices
Lexmark JetPrinters"

linuxprinting.org is run by Til Klampeter Mandrake's printer Guru.
He knows what he is talking about.
http://www.linuxprinting.org/vendors.html

derek

--