On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 22:12, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 18 Sep 2003 12:29 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:
> > I know if I wait long enough, you all start to agree with me, HP
> > printers are not well supported in linux and do not work that well,
> > as compared to epson and lexmark all of which I have have had one
> > or more experience with one way or another.
>
> I repeat - with one exception, around 3 years ago (when I was defeated
> and temporarily gave up linux), I have used HP printers without any
> problems whatsoever.  Mandrake has found them in every version from
> 8.0.  IIRC HP show clearly on their website which models are
> supported.  That's how I chose my present one.
>
> Anne

Anne,

I have to second what you say. I just bought and installed a HP Deskjet 3325
on my Debian Woody system.

No drivers for it in the Woody debs so I just downloaded the open source
drivers tarball from sourceforge, compiled and installed the driver.

Then installed the printer using cups without any problem at all.

This printer cost me all of $AUD 49-00 which is around $USD 30-00 this week.

HP IMO support OSS so I believe we OSS users s/be supporting them.

A further advantage for HP, along with Lexmark, is that they use oil based
inks which makes for better smear resistance off the printer.

My 2 bits.

Bob Parker.