I suggest you re-read the cd-writing howto. The necessary information
is there. I have a HP7200i IDE/ATAPI drive and are able to use both CDR and
CDRW. A good program to erase CDRW is gcombust. I don't mean to be rude
here, but before you ask for help please READ and try to COMPREHEND.
Sometimes it is necessary to re-read a document, since some of them are
very detailed and contain too much information to be digested at once. You
are going to need strong reading skills if you want to succeed as a Linux
user. Sorry about it but it is the cold hard truth.