On Thursday 18 September 2003 06:07 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 18 Sep 2003 10:59 pm, Bryan Phinney wrote:
> > On Thursday 18 September 2003 05:44 pm, Bryan Phinney wrote:
> > > For the meantime, I would recommend removing any hpoj package on
> > > your system and leaving the printer-filters package installed,
> > > you should then be able to print to your printer but not scan
> > > from it.
> > >
> > > Hopefully, once a newer stable version of hpoj is available, you
> > > will be able to both scan and print.
> >
> > For anyone else with an HP printer, the current latest version of
> > hpijs which is HP's print driver is available from their site 1.4.1
> > and I just downloaded it, applied a patch to improve the quality of
> > black printing when printing in color and compiled it and it worked
> > like a champ without any extra effort. The quality is markedly
> > better with the patch because it uses only the black ink cartridge
> > to print in black instead of mixing from the color ink cartridge.
> >
> > If anyone wants links or details, just drop me a line.  I might
> > also consider building an RPM for those of you who want it with the
> > patch installed.
>
> That does sound a worthwhile improvement.  The quality of composite
> black has always been a bugbear.  I'd really like to try this.  If
> it's worth your while building the rpm I'll wait for it, but if not
> enough people are interested, would you please send me
> links/instructions so that I can do it myself?
>
> Thanks

Well, I used checkinstall to build the RPM when I compiled it myself.  So, I
have the package, it should install on any Mandrake 9.1 system without any
problems since all the packages are compiled into the RPM.  However, I did
not sign the package with a GPG key, you would have to get mine from me
anyway.  I will put the RPM on my ftp server and send you a userid and
password in private email, if anyone else wants it, they will have to contact
me and let me know so I can give them an id as well.

Just to be sure, I will put an md5 sum for the package along with the RPM, you
can download both and then check it yourself.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer