On Thursday 18 September 2003 02:33 pm, Aron Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 11:53, Bryan Phinney wrote:

> > > The PSC 1250 uses somthing called the HP lightweight printer langage
> > > and is supposed to work thru CUPS but I have had no luck. I have been
> > > told that what I need is the CVS version of HPIJS, but,hell I'm a
> > > dummie How do I get it? meanwhile the Samsung ML-4500 laser printer
> > > works just fine.(only B&W tho.
> >
> > I am definitely not trying to be a smart ass here, HP does not list a PSC
> > 1250 on their site.  They do list a 1205 and a 2105, but not a 1250.  Can
> > I ask you to confirm what model printer you have?
>
> PSC 1210 bought it at sears $99.00

Well, you are right in that the printer that you have is not currently well
supported under Linux.  This has nothing to do with Mandrake in particular,
but hardware support for Linux in general.  HP only just started releasing
software drivers for this particular hardware architecture in 11/2002, it
takes a while for the Linux community to catch up to new releases.  The short
story seems to be that you can print with existing drivers (hpijs) but not
scan, or you can scan with existing drivers (hpoj) but not print, or you can
download and compile the latest bleeding edge version of hpoj (1.3), in which
case you can do both.

In order to get this version, you need to pull from the CVS repository which
is where the developers store the current source code as they are working on
it.  The version you need for both printing and scanning is simply too new to
be readily available, it is not considered stable yet and that means that
there are no binaries, certainly none supported by Mandrake.

HP itself usually only releases drivers covering printing which is supported
by the current versions of drivers available under Mandrake Linux.  The open
source community has been building drivers to support scanning itself, but
this does tend to lag a bit behind the latest hardware releases.

I could start the process of explaining how to do this stuff but I would
expect major problems in getting the code compiled since there is no way to
control for dependencies and no real way of knowing what tools and packages
are required.  It is likely that you would have to compile and upgrade other
packages that the code would be dependent upon and the only way to find out
would be to pour through comments and notations from the developers.

For the meantime, I would recommend removing any hpoj package on your system
and leaving the printer-filters package installed, you should then be able to
print to your printer but not scan from it.

Hopefully, once a newer stable version of hpoj is available, you will be able
to both scan and print.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer