On September 19, 2003 12:24 am, Margot wrote:
> Downloading mt messages this morning I noticed a large number of
> messages appearing in my Mozilla Junk folder. Checked it because I'm
> still training the junk controls, and found eleven messages supposedly
> from various parts of Microsoft, all message bodies identical but with
> different .exe files attached.
>
> I've had a couple of these before in the last couple of weeks, but
> eleven at once? That's excessive! Anyone else had these?
>
> Well done to the Moz junk mail control though, for correctly identifying
> anything from "Microsoft" as Junk!
>
> Margot

This a a nasty bit of stuff that's just starting to flood out.  As Stephen
says it's part of a flood of these things and they all do rather nasty things
to a Windows computer.

A friend of mine found that one of her employee's opened one of the blessed
things in Outlook which they'd changed from my presetting of not to open such
crap and they even unchecked the trusted sources option.  BOOM!  Within an
hour every computer on the network was acting up and by 5 that afternoon it
was gone.  Good thing it was a friday cause her hardware guy and I spent the
weekend cleaning up the mess.

When I disassembled the bug, on a Linux machine of course, it turned out to
have three payloads...one for Win 9x, one for NT/200 and a really nasty one
for XP.  We managed to salvage most of the company data and contact lists
from backups but the XP box needed a very low level format and then had to be
reinstalled.

I went around and reset Outlook on each box and then installed a VBScript that
automatically deletes suspicous files from incoming mail.  Not exactly Spam
Assassin but it works.  Only problem is legitimate HTML mail now has to be
zipped to be sent but I'm slowly teached them, and their clients, to send
text only messages.

They are buying a machine for me to install Mandrake on to build a proper
server and they have heeded my advice never  --- ever --- to use XP again.
:-)

Now if I could just find a Linux app that reads ACT! files and is a workalike
I could wean them off Windows completely :-)

ttfn

John