Hi Derek,

Sunday, September 21, 2003, 9:33:47 PM, you wrote:

<trimmed>

DJ> You have masses of space for your Linux partitions. It does not
DJ> really matter how you partition it up. Just make sure you have a
DJ> separate /home partition. That is where your user data goes. So
DJ> if you ever reinstall you can preserve it. The Mandrake installer
DJ> will suggest partiton sizes for you. You might as well just stick
DJ> with that.

I do have masses of space (I didn't even mention the scsi subsystem
<g>), but a lot of it is currently spoken for.  If I understand the
install docs correctly, the Mandrake installer will only suggest
partition sizes if I let it take over the whole drive.  Is that
correct?  If so, I'll need to define my partition sizes myself,
'cause I can't just let 'er rip and overwrite.

DJ> The default file system is Ext3  other choices are Reiserfs, XFS,
DJ> and JFS, but to be honest as a newbie you will not notice the
DJ> difference between any of them so leave as default.

I guess the question I should have asked there is, "Are any of these
file systems better in terms of reliability -- as regards data
integrity?"  The one that has the least chance of data corruption is
the one I want to use.  That might mean an older, "more stable" or
"more tested" file system, even if it's a bit slower.  I know pretty
close to zero about the differences right now.

DJ> The default Linux kernel will not address 1GB of RAM you will
DJ> only use 700 odd MB. There is an 'Enterprise' kernel on the CD
DJ> which will address the 1GB, but the extra instructions needed to
DJ> use the high memory actually makes it run slower than the
DJ> standard kernel. So I would not worry about it. Linux will run
DJ> much faster than Windows even with less memory.

Fair enough.  Swap partition size? (out of the ~35 GB)

DJ> It is actually quite safe to let Linux overwrite your MBR  You
DJ> would get a nice graphical screen to select which OS you want to
DJ> run. Most of us here do that. But if you would rather boot from
DJ> floppy thats your choice. It all works ;-)

The key for me would be the ease or difficulty of getting the MBR
back to its original state if I decide to flee back into the
smothering embrace of Redmond.  <g>  Seriously though, I just need to
make very sure I can get into XP when I need to.  Until such time as
I might decide to make a complete migration, I'd have real need to
get into XP on demand.

DJ> Have fun.

Thanks.  One more question comes to mind.  I'm on 100 MB/second
glass, and my wife and I share the connection through a router.  The
install routine will figure out how to get me connected?

Thanks again.

Lance