Lance Cummings wrote:

> Hi Derek,
>
> Sunday, September 21, 2003, 9:33:47 PM, you wrote:
>
> <trimmed>
>
> DJ> You have masses of space for your Linux partitions. It does not
> DJ> really matter how you partition it up. Just make sure you have a
> DJ> separate /home partition. That is where your user data goes. So
> DJ> if you ever reinstall you can preserve it. The Mandrake installer
> DJ> will suggest partiton sizes for you. You might as well just stick
> DJ> with that.
>
> I do have masses of space (I didn't even mention the scsi subsystem
> <g>), but a lot of it is currently spoken for.  If I understand the
> install docs correctly, the Mandrake installer will only suggest
> partition sizes if I let it take over the whole drive.  Is that
> correct?  If so, I'll need to define my partition sizes myself,
> 'cause I can't just let 'er rip and overwrite.

I think so, but I'm not sure.
I'd use 'Expert mode' in setting the disk up. Expert is actually
just more options in the dialogs.

I'd proberbly set it up something like

/ ~ 4-6 GB
/swap ~ 150 - 200 Mb (You've got lot's of RAM)
/usr ~ 10 Gb
/home ~ The rest ( ~ 20 Gb)

When you get the taste for it, You can look at LVM,
Logical Volume Groups, to assign more or less space
to your partitions, but leave it until you've got
used to the concept behind it.

> DJ> The default file system is Ext3  other choices are Reiserfs, XFS,
> DJ> and JFS, but to be honest as a newbie you will not notice the
> DJ> difference between any of them so leave as default.
>
> I guess the question I should have asked there is, "Are any of these
> file systems better in terms of reliability -- as regards data
> integrity?"

<cut>
They are all good.
I always use ReiserFS for all my partitions, but that's just a matter of
taste.

> DJ> It is actually quite safe to let Linux overwrite your MBR  You
> DJ> would get a nice graphical screen to select which OS you want to
> DJ> run. Most of us here do that. But if you would rather boot from
> DJ> floppy thats your choice. It all works ;-)

I agree.

> The key for me would be the ease or difficulty of getting the MBR
> back to its original state if I decide to flee back into the
> smothering embrace of Redmond.  <g>  Seriously though, I just need to
> make very sure I can get into XP when I need to.  Until such time as
> I might decide to make a complete migration, I'd have real need to
> get into XP on demand.
>
> DJ> Have fun.

You migth want to have a look at fdisk in XP.
MS used to have a /MBR option to fdisk, to erase
anything in the MBR, but I have not ever needed it.

> Thanks.  One more question comes to mind.  I'm on 100 MB/second
> glass, and my wife and I share the connection through a router.  The
> install routine will figure out how to get me connected?

Yes (I think)

> Thanks again.
>
> Lance

/Björn