On Monday 22 Sep 2003 4:29 am, Lance Cummings wrote:

> That's pretty close to what I ended up doing.  Thanks for the advice.
> The only change I made was to add /var (about 3 gigs) at the end.  My
> reading of the docs seems to suggest that a lot of log activity ends
> up there, and some chronic problem that I don't notice right away
> might run up a log big enough to fill the volume.

Mandrake will run a nightly job to compress and rotate your log files, so
overflowing the logs will not happen. It also does a lot of other
housekeeping at the same time. However the job runs at 4am and if your
computer is switched off it will not do its nightly housekeeping.
If you install the anacron package, any missed job will run when you turn your
PC on in the morning.

SNIP

> So the big next question is where the heck do I get at this vertical
> refresh setting? Setting screen resolution and color depth are pieces
> of cake of course.  But unlike Windows, I can find *nowhere* to get
> at vertical refresh, and without the ability to control that this
> experiment has to come to a screeching end for me.  I just cannot
> take less than 85 Hz.

Unfortunately the scan rate cannot be easily selected like it is in Windows.
It can be set but you have to do a bit of working out. The easiest way to set
it is probably to run the Monitor set up utility again in Mandrake Control
Centre>Hardware.  If your monitor is not in the list of known monitors then
it will have selected a generic monitor with quite conservative settings.
That GUI edits a file called /etc/X11/XF86Config-4  The monitor section in
there looks like this :-
-------------------------------------
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "monitor1"
    VendorName "Plug'n Play"
    ModelName "Nokia 446Xpro"
    HorizSync 30-107
    VertRefresh 50-150
--------------------------------------
The HorizSync and VertRefresh parameters determine the maximum scan rates
supported by the monitor. If you have a default monitor selected they may be
well below the capabilities of your monitor. Check your monitor handbook and
put the appropriate values in there. *DO NOT* put in values too high or you
could damage your monitor.

These next lines determine specific set ups for some lap tops.

--------------------------------
    # Sony Vaio C1(X,XS,VE,VN)?
    # 1024x480 @ 85.6 Hz, 48 kHz hsync
    ModeLine "1024x480"    65.00 1024 1032 1176 1344   480  488  494  563
-hsync -vsync

    # TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.
    # 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync
    ModeLine "768x576"     50.00  768  832  846 1000   576  590  595  630

    # 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync
    ModeLine "768x576"     63.07  768  800  960 1024   576  578  590  616
EndSection

This section defines the video card. If you have an nvidia card you have a
choice of 2 drivers. The OpenSource 'nv' driver which is fine for 2D work, or
the proprietary 'nvidia' driver which works well in 3D but is not on the
Mandrake CDs because it is not GPL (Mandrake are real keen on the GPL)

Section "Device"
    Identifier "device1"
    VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
    BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 256 (generic)"
    Driver "nvidia"
#    Driver "nv"
Option "DPMS"
Option "NoLogo" "on"
EndSection
---------------------------

The next section determines the screen operation You have the default colour
depth, followed by all the colour depths and screen resolutions which can be
selected.  You can rotate around the resolutions simply be pressing
Ctl Alt keypad+/-
You can add any resolutions you want, but if during boot the system decides
they cannot be supported they will not be available.
Note nowhere does it say scan rate. The system calculates scan rate from the
Horiz and Vert rates, and from the resolution and colour depth.

-------------------------------
Section "Screen"
    Identifier "screen1"
    Device "device1"
    Monitor "monitor1"
    DefaultColorDepth 24

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth 8
        Modes "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubsection

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth 15
        Modes "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubsection

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth 16
        Modes "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubsection

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth 24
        Modes "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubsection
EndSection
If you want to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 it has to be done as root. Easy way
to do that is Menu>Applications>FileTools>FileManager(SuperUserMode)
right click on the file and select Openwith>Kedit

> I set up the box to use KDE and Kmail.  I did not give Kmail my
> account information yet, because for the time being I want to keep my
> e-mail database on Windows intact.  That means I want to download,
> but not delete from the server with Kmail.  Anyone know real quick
> how to set that up before "turning on" Kmail by giving it access to
> my server?

In the account settings of KMail there is a box to 'delete messages on server'
Just leave it unchecked.

HTH

derek

BTW Lance: Its time for me to be list Nazi and point out that you should not
have the 'Reply To:' header set in your 'The Bat' configuration. It is not
necessary, and means when people reply to mailing list postings the replies
go to you and not the list unless we are careful. Just delete the parameter
it is only needed if you send from one mail account and need replies to
appear on another.

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net