Well, I found it on my MDK9.0 system.  Yes, it's in a gui.  Mandrake makes it
a hidden part of the KDE Control Center.  It's called kxconfig.  If you type:
kdesu -c kxconfig
and supply your root password it will show up.  Please backup
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 before you do this so you have a way back if you or it
messes something up.  After you run this it will be in the 'Screen' section
of the program.  You will be able to change the refresh rate there.  I
thought I saw something like this setting in the Mandrake Control Center
under Hardware in MDK 9.1, but I could be wrong.  I'm not sure this will
work, I've never used it.  So YMMV, caveat emptor, use at your own risk, etc.

Jim

On Tuesday 23 September 2003 03:54 am, Lance Cummings wrote:
<snip>
> That's about the long and short of it, yes.  Linux is clearly trying
> to make a push onto the corporate and retail desktop.  And a lot of
> Linux backers are claiming these days that the ease-of-use and
> installation issues have pretty much been taken care of by the modern
> distributions and automated install routines. And to a large extent,
> this claim is clearly true.
<snip>

--

  4:01am  up 5 days, 20:55,  3 users,  load average: 0.03, 0.08, 0.03
Running Mandrake 9.0 - Linux - because life is too short for reboots...