Eric Huff wrote:
Does anybody know the correct way to get side thumb buttons on a

microsoft intellimouse explorer working as back and forward in
mozilla under 9.1?

Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"

I have never tried this (just saved joe's post cuz it looked
helpful).  Anyway, here is a post from way back.
I notice you have /dev/psaux and he had mouse:

Subject: Re: [newbie] How do I use all buttons on MS Explorer mouse?

I dropped deadman a quick question on this mouse, but would be
interested to know if any of you have input or experiences to
add...

the instructions on his site should apply to any mouse with 5
buttons or
even 7. you are using xmodmap, like this (in your .xinitrc):

xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5" &

plus an entry in your XF86Config:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "Mouse0"
        Driver "mouse"
        Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
        Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
        Option "Buttons" "7"
        Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
EndSection

now, you can let go of the "Explorer" part and give it a shot, to my
mind it shouldn't matter. of course if it doesn't work, just put it
back
to normal (your system even keeps a backup of your old XF86Config
for
you to rename and use).

Personally, it seemed to wreak havoc with my WM and mousewheeling
thru
desktops, so I commented it out for now. I'll give it a shot later.

Thanks eric, but as far as I can tell what you told me will make x see that there are 7 buttons, 5 actual, and 2 for the wheel, and map the scrolling to the wheel ("buttons" 6 and 7) what I'm looking for is getting the buttons 4 and 5 (thumb buttons) to perform a specific function. The first part I believe I have working already. It seems like I just need to find the correct systax for the mozilla entry in the imwheelrc file, but since none of the entries that I have found on the web seem to work the way they should, I'm not entirely sure that I have imwheel set up correctly or that imwheel is even the way to do this anymore. Anyway, I'll keep looking, thanks for the response.

Dax