Kelly McCormick wrote:

Does anybody know the correct way to get side thumb buttons on a microsoft intellimouse explorer working as back and forward in mozilla under 9.1?
<clip>

Does anyone know why this doesn't work?

imwheel rpm from 9.1 discs is installed.
imwheel process is getting started by logged in user.
side buttons work for side to side scrolling in mozilla and konquerer so they are being recognized as the left arrow key and the right arrow key.
What I want is for them to be working as LeftAlt+left arrow key combination, and LeftAlt+right arrow key combo respectively.

From XF86Config-4:

Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"   "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option "Device"     "/dev/psaux"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
    Option "Buttons" "7"

(note that /dev/psaux and /dev/mouse are both links to /dev/misc/psaux)

Contents of both /etc/X11/imwheelrc and ~/.imwheelrc :

".*"
None, Left, Alt_L|Left
None, Right, Alt_L|Right

(note, have also tried several other combos including replacing Left and Right with Up and Down)

Contents of /etc/X11/xinit.d/imwheel :

#!/bin/sh
#---------------------------------------------------------------
# Project         : Mandrake
# Module          : imwheel
# File            : imwheel.xinit
# Version         : $Id$
# Author          : Frederic Lepied
# Created On      : Tue Apr 11 14:13:43 2000

[ -r /etc/sysconfig/mouse ] && . /etc/sysconfig/mouse

BINARY=$(which imwheel)

[ "$WHEEL" = yes -a -n "$BINARY" ] && $BINARY -p -b 0067

# imwheel ends here

(note -b 0067 option seems to be the only way to keep imwheel from screwing up the wheel scrolling function)

Contents of /etc/X11/xinit.d/mouse_buttons

xmodmap -e 'pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5'

From everything that I have been able to find on this subject, this should work the way I want it to, but still no luck. Please help if you can, I have run out of things to try.

Dax