Charles A Edwards wrote:
On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 22:06:19 +0100
Margot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Tried Alsamixergui - got same error message that I'd seen before "alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory" - thought this was fixed after Anne advised me to install
all packages with alsa in the name, but obviously the "fix" wasn't
permanent!

I have not been closely following this thread but could you post your current /etc/module.conf.

I had been having a time the last day or 2 with my snd and was getting
the same alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed error.
In my case some f**king app had changed my modules.conf

Charles

Here's the current version:

probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
probeall usb-interface usb-uhci
alias net-pf-4 ipx
alias autofs autofs4

(I was told earlier to delete the lines relating to sound, so I did!)

Margot