On Thursday 02 Oct 2003 5:18 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Anarky wrote:
> >       is there any way I could give a command to reboot in
> > windows directly from a console? Right now to do that I have to
> > logout of the windowmanager, return to the mandrake login screen
> > and select reboot, win ... I'd like to be able to give some kind
> > of shell command like "reboot win" and be the equivalent of that.
> >    thanks with anticipation
>
> Normally you can reboot from an Xwindow terminal after you su to
> root. The command is "shutdown -r ....."
>
> MDK 9.0 and later gave me problems with this command. This command
> did not give me clean reboot. I tried it with KDE and IceWM.
>
> The command did not give me any problems with any other *nix.
>
> Can other people tell us about their experience with this command
> and MDK.
>
> Thanx,
>
> ayoub890

I have used shutdown -r now (and shutdown -h now) under both 9.0 and
9.1 withiout problems.  Could your problem be because you didn't give
it a timescale?  It can be set to delay a short time, in order for
other connections to be closed off.  'now' is required to make it
immediate.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302