ed tharp wrote:
On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 15:00, Anne Wilson wrote:

On Thursday 02 Oct 2003 5:18 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Anarky wrote:

     is there any way I could give a command to reboot in
windows directly from a console? Right now to do that I have to
logout of the windowmanager, return to the mandrake login screen
and select reboot, win ... I'd like to be able to give some kind
of shell command like "reboot win" and be the equivalent of that.
  thanks with anticipation

Normally you can reboot from an Xwindow terminal after you su to root. The command is "shutdown -r ....."

MDK 9.0 and later gave me problems with this command. This command
did not give me clean reboot. I tried it with KDE and IceWM.

The command did not give me any problems with any other *nix.

Can other people tell us about their experience with this command
and MDK.

Thanx,

ayoub890

I have used shutdown -r now (and shutdown -h now) under both 9.0 and 9.1 withiout problems. Could your problem be because you didn't give it a timescale? It can be set to delay a short time, in order for other connections to be closed off. 'now' is required to make it immediate.

Anne

or had msec set so only root could reboot

Usually I used "shutdown -r now" without any problems for LMK8.2.
From 9.0 onwards it would not work correctly. After waiting a while after issuing the command I went into a frenzy typing control-C, control-D and other things randomly to get it to reboot. Sometimes I had to give variations of the shutdown command mutiple times to get it to reboot.

The command worked as expected now and then.

I tried to use the "rebootin linux" command for the first time today (from the command line prompt without booting GUI). rebootin had problems too. After a long wait I repeated the command a second time and it rebooted.

Thanx,

ayoub890