On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 10:47:08 -0500
[EMAIL PROTECTED] uttered:

> selinux may be good.  it may be extraordinarily good.  it is not
> perfect, therefore at some point in time, a way or ways will be
> found to subvert it to greater or lesser degrees.  those attacks
> will be addressed and the weaknesses rectified, but the damage
> will happen.
>
> i'm not tryig to be rude when i say this: that same cocky
> self-assurance is what allowed Challenger to happen - and i'm
> american and it still hurts like hell every time i remember, but
> assumptions didn't stop it from happening nor will it stop it
> from happening again.  if man is involved, it will fail
> eventually.  linux is no different in thaat regard than anything
> else manmade.  more thoughtfully addressed and nurtured, but
> still vulnerable.

That's not really the issue, as we were discussing before. I think you
even said it, Linux, Unix, whatever platform will never be 100% secure,
but as always, I would put a default install of Mandrake up against a
patched and configured Windows box any time and bet on a winner.

Everything is relative, there are no absolutes... LOL!

However, when you talk about something like SELinux, the law of
diminishing returns would seem to dictate that the cost/effort would
simply be out of sight for anyone below the level of extreme-l33t-haxor
to attempt an exploit. In implementing SELinux, the NSA is putting up a
platform that they hope will be mostly impervious to anything except a
hacker who is backed by the budget and resources of an entire *State*.

--
HaywireMac
Registered Linux user #282046