On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 03:45, Charlie M. wrote:

> October 3, 2003 09:11 am, HaywireMac wrote:
> [..]
> > That's not really the issue, as we were discussing before. I think you
> > even said it, Linux, Unix, whatever platform will never be 100% secure,
> > but as always, I would put a default install of Mandrake up against a
> > patched and configured Windows box any time and bet on a winner.
> >
> > Everything is relative, there are no absolutes... LOL!
> >
> > However, when you talk about something like SELinux, the law of
> > diminishing returns would seem to dictate that the cost/effort would
> > simply be out of sight for anyone below the level of extreme-l33t-haxor
> > to attempt an exploit. In implementing SELinux, the NSA is putting up a
> > platform that they hope will be mostly impervious to anything except a
> > hacker who is backed by the budget and resources of an entire *State*.
>
> For that notional elite, and their hypothetical state sponsored "projects"
> there are further levels of security, further "layers" to pass before a hack
> possibly gains any access in any targeted system.
>
> Please don't tell me that you don't think the specific research project
> identified above, the developers involved, and the agency in control, have
> never heard of honey traps and tarpits? (-; Or sacrificial decoys; which,
> with their budget, would likely be standard networking "hardware."

Oy ... I thought "honeypots" were illegal now in the US...

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1703

I had thought that (even though I run "some") the US system was starting
to blast/out-law the simple matter of even running a honey-pot...

(What? They're coming to get me here?)

stephen kuhn - owner
illawarra computer services
a kuhn media australia company
http://kma.0catch.com
Sentenced to two years hard labor (for sodomy), Oscar Wilde stood
handcuffed in driving rain waiting for transport to prison. "If this is
the way Queen Victoria treats her prisoners," he remarked, "she doesn't
deserve to have any."