On Sunday 05 October 2003 07:04 pm, Aaron West wrote:
> Evening all,
>
> Simple question here.  I'm getting closer to the point of
> being ready for the 9.1 install but want some opinions.  Since
> I'm going to dual boot with Windows 2000 (Windows with use
> a completely different physical hard drive, my current 15GB
> hard drive.  Linux will use the new 120GB Maxtor) and Linux,
> I've been trying to determine the order of OS install.
>
> I read somewhere that you should install Windows first before
> you install Linux.  I'm going to completely wipe my current
> Windows install in order to start fresh.  And then will be
> installing Linux on the new hard drive.  Is it the right
> idea to go ahead and get the fresh Windows drive working
> so once the new HD comes in I'll be ready to go?
>
> Thanks!!
> | Aaron West

Aaron:
Sounds like an excellent plan to me, and one that is commonly used. When you
get to partitioning the Mandrake disk, I'd suggest that you do not accept the
default paritioning scheme, but create some extra partitions. I've found it
very useful to have one partition (using a Linux-based format) for Linux
backups, and a second partition formatted in FAT32. The latter partition can
be used for storing data files that you may wish to access from either OS.
-- cmg