On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 10:27, rikona wrote:
> Hello Aron,
>
> Friday, October 10, 2003, 9:13:18 AM, you wrote:
>
> AS> You mean that the board has an encrypted flash protecting the encrypted
> AS> flash. :-0
>
> Sort of like that, yes. No key, no flash, no bios.
>
> AS> There is a Linux BIOS out there http://www.linuxbios.org/
>
> Remember, the board has nothing, not even the HW initialization needed
> to activate the linux bios. How will you get the HW initialization on
> that board?
>
> If they want to really protect the board, M$ would disable, in HW,
> certain conduits on the board, and these would be activated only by
> the M$ bios. So - even if you use a plug-in board to provide the bios,
> the main board will still not work. They can make this REALLY
> difficult, if they want to.
>
> It's the 'final solution' Herr Bill might use to stamp out linux, with
> a 'cover story' of making users more secure. Fits the M$ mentality
> just fine.
True but board designs are easy to come by given you scerenaro I would
expect a lively black market in boards that let younput in your on bios
On my first box (Altair 8080) you had to load a 512 byte program (in hex
by hand), which gave Dumbo enough smarts to read the paper tape Then you
could load a program.