Hello Bryan,

Sunday, October 12, 2003, 11:15:57 AM, you wrote:

BP> On Sunday 12 October 2003 01:53 pm, rikona wrote:

>> Given the past history, it might be a good idea to assume the worst,
>> at least as a start.

BP> As long as you keep in mind that making such assumptions automatically colors
BP> any opinions that you form.

My bias is showing? :-)))

BP> We always need to differentiate our opinions  from facts, and
BP> especially our biases from what someone should interpret  about
BP> those facts.

Keep in mind that M$ works in deep secrecy. Draconian NDS agreements
are standard. As a result, very few actual facts emerge, and these are
usually 'after the fact'. In general, I agree it is a nice practice to
keep an open mind, but before you do that with M$, you might want to
look at the large pile of 'dead bodies' that did that with M$.

I'd prefer not to have to say "I guess M$ really DID want to take over
the entire net, didn't they"

>> BP> MS even dodges the Justice Dept. anti-trust bullet,
>>
>> Ain't gonna be a bullet, not even another gentle tap on the wrist.
>> Nobody is in a better position to snoop/spy then M$, especially with
>> the new direction they are going in. We could shut down an entire
>> country and its economy in a flash. Makes the DOD drool, I'll bet. :-)
>> All this incredible power does not cost the taxpayers a dime. The
>> government LOVES it. It would be more likely that they would subsidize
>> it than go after it.

BP> The anti-trust laws have NOT been rewritten, just not fully enforced in this
BP> circumstance.

There are laws, and there are laws. When you get into the area of
national security, all bets are off. As with the prisoners in Cuba, if
you declare them national security hazards, you can invoke an entirely
different way of operating. I'm suggesting that M$ software could be
viewed, in a way, as a 'weapon'. This would allow DOJ, DOD, etc to
enter into incredibly secret agreements with M$, and even give them
money for development (as suggested by their lobbyists, of course).
Oracle got a lot of $$ from the CIA, for example.

You will not have even a HINT that this is happening. In fact, there
will likely be a good, misleading cover story.

BP> I don't see anything to suggest that it is not still in their
BP> interest to maintain the illusion of an open and  free market,
BP> even while they do their best to keep it as closed as benefits
BP> them.

I agree. I'm suggesting that the government will HELP them do this,
not fight it. We're not likely to see any DOJ action.

BP> I personally don't believe that MS is evil personified,

Agreed. Just keep a sharp eye on your wallet. :-) He'll pick your
pocket. Is the pickpocket evil personified? Probably not, but still be
careful. A bit of street smarts is useful for survival too.

BP> Every human will try to make things work out best for himself,
BP> even  if that sometimes is at the expense of others.  That is just
BP> plain old  self-interest and survival instinct.

True. It depends on how you go about it. Empire builders often go well
beyond just survival.

BP> I would not want to argue that someone wanting to make more money
BP> is necessarily evil.

True. It depends on how you go about it. "Bank robbers succeed in huge
robbery." They just wanted to make money too.

BP> There are some people that I would  classify as evil, and I don't
BP> think that Bill and co. can hold a candle to them.  As for harm to
BP> people and the world in general, there are some who do  much more
BP> harm than does MS.

Just because I can find someone worse does not make them good.

BP> That doesn't mean that I would not resist someone trying to force me to use a
BP> product that is not in my best interest, just that I don't take it
BP> personally.

I don't take it personally either. I'm just trying to keep ahead of
the game, and cut off the bad guys at the pass. Act before the fact if
you see danger coming. Helps survival, as it always has.

--

 rikona                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]