On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 08:53:15 -0700 (PDT)
Tango Echo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> I've got a couple 200 Mhz 128 MB Dells that I'd like
> to throw Mandrake on for the local Library.  I put 9.1
> on it, but I think that's to much for it - even
> running IceWM.

I would recommend XFCE4, it's easy to install, thanks to Todd Slater
there are RPMs on the site, and is extremely light, should run fine on
those machines, I know it did on my P233 with similar memory.

http://www.xfce.org/

If it is possible, I might recommend picking up some additional RAM,
SDRAM for those boxes is cheaper than duck shit right now, you can pick
up a 128MB stick for about 20 or 30 dollars.

> Are there any HOWTOs similar to what I'm trying to
> accomplish here?  Users will need to be locked down as
> not to tamper with configuration or install any
> software.  However, tasks such as web browsing,
> chatting (multi user?), viewing multimedia, and using
> office applications will be standard usage.

Generally, as long as the individual users do not have the root
password, they will not be able to go beyond what you want them to do.
The only access they will have is to their own dir, and if you set up
only one "general" user, like a 'guest' account, then you seriously
minimize the admin and maintenance aspects. They *would* need to have
write perms to this home dir, though, even to do simple browsing and
such, as config files are created and changed by the applications in
general use. Most config files, though, are "hidden", so unless the user
is fairly savvy, they would not even see these files if they opened a
file manager or terminal. You could very easily hide access to a
terminal window or file manager simply by not having one available
through the GUI.

Set the security level to just higher than "standard" and you should
have no problems, certainly far less than you would on a Windows box.

> If not, what do you suggst I do for these systems? I
> still have the MDK 8.2 disks, but Mandrake dropped
> support for this version - this could lead to a
> comprimised system.

I would even suggest grabbing the latest 9.2 release, there have been
some enhancements and fixes that are fairly significant.

--
HaywireMac ++ ICQ # 279518458
Registered Linux user #282046