--- HaywireMac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 08:53:15 -0700 (PDT)
> Tango Echo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:
>
> > I've got a couple 200 Mhz 128 MB Dells that I'd

> I would recommend XFCE4, it's easy to install,
> thanks to Todd Slater
> there are RPMs on the site, and is extremely light,
> should run fine on
> those machines, I know it did on my P233 with
> similar memory.

I've always thought IceWM to be one of the lightest
WMs.  There probably isn't a way to weigh these
things, but you find XFCE4 to be faster??

> If it is possible, I might recommend picking up some
> additional RAM,
> SDRAM for those boxes is cheaper than duck shit
> right now, you can pick
> up a 128MB stick for about 20 or 30 dollars.

It's at around $15 on pricewatch... =)  Gotta love
inexpensive RAM!  I've thought about purchasing a
faster processor (400-500Mhz?) since they are quite
cheap too.  However, then the mobo and disks could
probably use an upgrade as well.  The ideal situation
would be to get these things functional w/out any
additional purchases or hardware changes.

> > If not, what do you suggst I do for these systems?
> > still have the MDK 8.2 disks, but Mandrake dropped
> > support for this version - this could lead to a
> > comprimised system.
>
> I would even suggest grabbing the latest 9.2
> release, there have been
> some enhancements and fixes that are fairly
> significant.

This is where you got me... It almost sounds that
you're saying 9.2 is not any more (if not less)
recsource intensive then 8.2.  It may seem to be a
windows mentality, but I would think common sense
would dictate that more advanced software requires
more advanced hardware.  What's the case here?