On 10/15/2003 9:59:11 PM EDT, Paul Kaplan wrote:
> I'm running Mandrake 9.1 stock kernel (2.4.21mdk).  The USB ports
> (2.0) on the machine seem to work, but those on the port replicator
> are dead as are those on an external 2.0 hub plugged into the machine
> ports. Interestingly, the 1.1 port on my external keyboard is live as
> long as the keyboard is plugged into the machine port.  Even though
> the machine based ports are live, they don't function as plug 'n
> play...if devices are not plugged into the ports during the boot
> process, they are never seen by the running OS.  It is also
> interesting that the external ports are active while the BIOS is
> calling LILO...they only die after the kernel loads.
> Any knowledge out there on how to activate the hub based ports and how
> to make them true pnp.
> TIA
> Paul

I'm not sure about every part of your problem. I have two USB 2.0 ports
and two USB 1.1 ports on a portable computer -- the hubs are internal.
I'm using Mandrake 9.1 with the 2.4.21-0.25 kernel and frequently have
to boot up without any peripherals being plugged in.

I have noticed that during boot up if the pnp aren't plugged in, I get a
message saying that Mandrake has noticed that my hardware has changed
and would I like to do anything about that. I press "cancel" and that
ends the incident. My pnp remain pnp.

On the one occasion that I neglected to press "cancel," Mandrake altered
/etc/fstab, and it took me a while to figure out why my peripherals
weren't working. I fixed /etc/fstab, and they started working again.

My problem has been trying to figure out how to tell Mandrake that
everything is okay without watching for that message during boot up. I
understand that the feature could be helpful, if indeed I do want to
change my hardware, but it's kind of a nuisance in the meantime.

deedee

Registered Linux User #327485
Visit "WordStar & GNU/Linux"
http://www.wordstar2.com