Wonder if that has any relation to linuxconf (lilo) not wanting to
recogize my /dev/hdc1 as a valid Linux partition for booting from?

Boot fine from a floppy . . . .

--
Ty Mixon
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On 10/19/99, 8:02:41 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote regarding [newbie]
BUG: 6.1:

> Two more bugs to report:

> 1)  By default, Mandrake attempts to turn on DMA for available IDE
devices.
> Attempting to copy the contents of a CDROM to my hard drive, I
encountered
> the following errors:

>       hdd: timeout waiting for DMA
>       hdd: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete
DataRequest }
>       hdd: DMA disabled
>       hda: timeout waiting for DMA
>       hda: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete
DataRequest }
>       hda: DMA disabled

> and then the entire machine locked up.  The keyboard was frozen and I
ended
> up "kicking the Big Red Button" on the machine.

> I modified my BIOS settings to disable DMA support for the interfaces
and
> rebooted.  Trying to make the copy, the same errors and lockup (and
> resolution occurred).

> Finally, I modified /etc/rc.d/init.d/mandrake_everytime to change the
-d1 to
> -d0 in the hdparm line and rebooted the machine.

> After the reboot, I again attempted the copy only to be greeted with
the
> same errors followed by:

>       hdd: ATAPI reset complete
>       ATAPI device hdd:
>         Error: Unit attention -- (Sense key=0x06)
>         Power on, reset or bus device reset occurred -- (asc=0x29,
ascq=0x00)
>       hdd: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete
Error }
>       hdd: cdrom_decode_status: error=0x30
>       ide0: reset: success

> The machine did not lock up this time, but I'm a bit worried by the
> messages.  This machine had NO PROBLEMS running Mandrake 6.0 and had
no
> problems running 2.3.x kernels.

> Thinking that I'd simply bypass the bad judgement on Mandrake's part,
> moved to compiling my own kernel.  Once again, I'm hit with a bug:

[snip]