Paul M. Bucalo wrote:

On Thursday 23 October 2003 07:17 am, John Richard Smith graced me with:

Paul,

I have an optical mouse,

My XF86Config(-4) doesn't have

Option "Resolution" "200" in it at all,

Does this mean that where the system doesn't find a resolution set
here it adopts a default setting instead ?

Yes. To my knowledge, you won't find this entry without manually putting it there. I've never seen any way to do so in Mandrake or Red Hat through a commonly used GUI.

As you can see from previous posts, this doesn't bother all optical mice, just some brands and/or models. The problem exists for me, though, and especially during installation of Red Hat 8 or 9. It's a patience-breaker trying to manually pick out hundreds of apps and applets during the install process with a mouse that doesn't want to go where you point. At least Mandrake 9.1 will allow a standard mouse driver to load and get me through the installation before concerning myself with the proper one. Now that I know this I plan for it.

if so do you happen to know what it is ?

The research I did earlier this year lead me to believe it's around 150 dpi. The minimum threashhold seems to be 200 dpi for some optical mice, no doubt the cheaper models. You can use a higher number, but then sensitivity increases. The larger the monitor (and therefore assuming higher screen display resolutions), the greater the possibility that you might want to go higher than 200 dpi. For me, this is enough at 1024x768 on a 17" monitor.

HTH, John.

Paul

Thankyou Paul, that has saved me hours of looking someday, although I don't have a problem right now, it's nice to have a handy little note to tell me where to look when I do.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]