On Wednesday 22 October 2003 10:30 am, Sharrea Day graced me with:
> Recently I used a friend's optical mouse while fixing their PC.  As
> I'd never used an optical mouse before, I was not impressed with it
> in either Windows or Linux.  In both OS there was a noticeable
> delay before the cursor actually moved (and it was not a slow
> system).
>
> Just curious as to whether all optical mice are like that because
> I'm looking for a cordless mouse for another friend and have
> noticed that there are more mice to choose from in the optical
> range.
>
> So can anyone tell me if your optical mouse causes a delay before
> the cursor moves? TIA.
>
> Sharrea

I'm using a low-price Logitech and Labtec for optical mice on both
Windows and Linux systems in my office network. While I don't have
any problems with a delay in Windows, I do have this problem in both
Red Hat and Mandrake with both mice.

The problem is the default resolution setting in Xserver can be too
low (approx. 150 dpi) for the some brands of optical mice. Correct
this by adding to XF86Config(-4) the last line under the mouse
defining area, as illustrated below:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse1"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Resolution" "200"   ; removes startup delay
EndSection

Remember that the higher the resultion the more "sensitive" it will be
too movement. This setting is adequate for up to a 17" monitor. I
might bump it up a bit for a light touch on larger monitors.

I realize that you were asking in order to justify purchasing one for
yourself, but as long as your friend is experiencing this problem,
why not help him or her out by making the needed modification? You
put a smile on his or her face and look like a hero. :0)

Paul