Paul M. Bucalo wrote:

I'm using a low-price Logitech and Labtec for optical mice on both Windows and Linux systems in my office network. While I don't have any problems with a delay in Windows, I do have this problem in both Red Hat and Mandrake with both mice.

The problem is the default resolution setting in Xserver can be too low (approx. 150 dpi) for the some brands of optical mice. Correct this by adding to XF86Config(-4) the last line under the mouse defining area, as illustrated below:

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier "Mouse1"
   Driver "mouse"
   Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
   Option "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"
   Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
   Option "Resolution" "200"        ; removes startup delay
EndSection

Remember that the higher the resultion the more "sensitive" it will be too movement. This setting is adequate for up to a 17" monitor. I might bump it up a bit for a light touch on larger monitors.

Paul

Paul,

I have an optical mouse,

My XF86Config(-4) doesn't have

Option "Resolution" "200" in it at all,

Does this mean that where the system doesn't find a resolution set here
it adopts a default setting instead ? if so do you happen to know what it is ?

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]