It has taken me several months to work out that the reason I can't access the SAMBA server I have set up is because of the Shorewall settings configured by invoking MDK9.x ICS.

At least that is my reading of it.

Essentially, everything else on my network seems to work - ICS, and the Linux box can read and write to the shared folders on the WinXP boxes. However, although I can see the Samba Server connection on the WinXP box, attempting to open it results in "Network Path not found". I cannot ping 192.168.1.1

However, when I disable Shorewall, I can ping 192.168.1.1 and I can access Samba. But now ICS is disabled :(

I have tried to make of sense of the "instructions and solutions" out there on the internet. Frankly, my head is spinning. The Quickstart guide at Shorewall.net left me even more confused.

Is anyone able to give me a simple, plain english explanation on how to configure Shorewall & ICS so the other computers on my local workgroup network can access SAMBA?

Many thanks in advance...

--
Pierre
Final Filer Software