On Sunday 26 Oct 2003 7:47 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have tried to make of sense of the "instructions and solutions" out
> there on the internet. Frankly, my head is spinning. The Quickstart
> guide at Shorewall.net left me even more confused.
>
> Is anyone able to give me a simple, plain english explanation on how to
> configure Shorewall & ICS so the other computers on my local workgroup
> network can access SAMBA?

I tried Shorewall once (MDK9.0) and it broke all connectivity. My conclusion
was that it needs setting up if you are using it for more than a dedicated
firewall. Don't know about ICS, and haven't tried it since.

Firewalls are complex bits of kit. They require really getting to grips with
what you are doing with them. Automatic installs are only ever going to get
you so far.

You could try the webmin interface. (urpmi webmin) It's not a magic bullet,
but it might help.

You could install a hardware firewall between you and the internet. Then ditch
shorewall and let the firewall manufacturers worry about it. If nothing else
it simplifies your problem by splitting it in two.

You should keep reading until it all makes sense. That could take a long time;
it's a very complex subject. But if you keep reading over and over, not
expecting to understand it all first time through, things will drop into
place one by one.

Get a working knowledge of configuring shorewall and samba. Then if you post
exactly what your network setup is and what your configuration files are
someone will probably be able to point you in the right direction.

--
Richard Urwin